samedi 17 novembre 2018

On Polls


i.

Where the slot is, drop it.
Then there seems to be countable choice.
But hey, you did not choose the slot
You maybe chose the ballot but not the slot.
I’d like to drop my ballots in whatever slot I choose
I’d even rather choose slots over ballots
I’m so much more into slots than I am ballot-friendly
Nice narrow slots are a treat, big ballots aren’t
But that’s not the way it works.
They have you choose your ballot not your slot
Eventually, the slot chooses the ballot
To make sure things won’t change.


ii.

The other day I was asked to have a view.
Or if I already had one.
Now, I only have a very old view, really old, and
Tattered – I toyed with it as a boy – not even good for a yard sale
The one you’re ashamed to show, you know, the one
Grown-ups forgot – and they sure looked for recent stuff
Which I hadn’t. But they insisted and so
I went fishing out and trimmed off a sliver from one side
The side less worn
Slant enough to hide how outmoded the whole posture was
And then gingerly cast it into the shiny red box
One of the comrades held before me.


iii.

This stupid game is finished, once and for all
I said to myself.
This is neither the time nor the place
To expect any outcome.
Game over, once and for all
I once more told myself
As if anyone would care.
This stupid game is not meant for individuals
And as I cannot be but an individual, and as we all
Cannot be but individuals, taken individually
It ultimately isn’t meant for anybody.
By chance, it’s but a child’s game.


[Das wie auch immer geartete Ergebnis einer Wahl darf nicht darüber hinwegtäuschen, dass der Wähler, damit es zu einem Ergebnis kommen konnte, zuallererst wählen gehen musste. Der Wähler bestimmt also nicht nur darüber, wie eine Wahl ausgeht, sondern auch darüber, ob sie überhaupt ausgeht. Ohne Wähler keine Wahl und mithin auch kein Wahlergebnis, so wie es ohne Gläubige eben auch keinen Gott gibt, unabhängig davon, was im Himmel vor sich geht. Man muss immer zuerst glauben. Da der informierte Wähler mittlerweile nach kürzester Zeit mit jedem Wahlausgang unzufrieden ist – so wie er, falls informiert, mittlerweile auch unzufrieden ist mit dem Resultat jeglicher Gottgläubigkeit – kann man hier von einer Kollektivschuld reden. Weniger wäre mehr gewesen, und gar nichts noch mehr. Macht man sich aber schon schuldig, wenn man dem politischen Geschehen wie von der Presse angeboten willig, ja zwanghaft folgt? Macht schon das sogenannte Informiertsein schuldig? Ich weiß es nicht. Ich weiß nur, dass, wer nichts vom lieben Gott und seinem Klerus hält, meistens auch das Kirchenblättchen nicht liest, doch diejenigen, die nichts von der Politik und ihrem Personal halten, nicht selten die Informiertesten sind.]

November 16, 2018

Aucun commentaire: