samedi 24 novembre 2018

Some Birds of the Flock

1st Bird: Fluent up there but not affluent.
His wealthier friends use to take over what he
Can’t afford any longer:
Nest, egg partner, flock position, etc.
Recently has tried to survive as a kleptoparasite
Which is far from easy
When all your mates are much smarter than you are.

2nd Bird: Philosopher.
When you attempt to outsmart your friends
You’ll lose them.
Let them merrily take over your
Nest, egg partner, flock position, etc.
And they will love you almost like a brother.
What’s more important in life than family?

3rd Bird: A solitary master.
There are oodles of forage techniques.
Mine is to be on my own.
When you’re on your own
Windfall acquaintances are a help
But not necessary, windfall itself is a kind of
Acquaintance you can cooperate with.

4th Bird, on hunger strike, declares:
I simply don’t eat. Too busy.
When you’re really
Busy, your business nourishes you.
A job that feeds a bird is guarantee to stay lean.
When I’m not working, I’m working out.
Like to feel my wings?

5th Bird: Cynic.
Oh, there are many flights of life
As long as you’re part of the flock.
They’re telling you all sorts of things
But most of the time it doesn’t add up.
Don’t buy their lies, just stay in the flock.
Never contradict. The rest is a child’s game.

6th Bird: Another muscular.
The flock is V-shaped, I am V-shaped
I am flock, Chevron is my middle name.
When you’re all flock nobody can touch you
You’re too many.
Come ye bescoped flabby hunters
Try to bring me down.

7th Bird: Quality
I’m only talking quality.
One single quality bird in a flock
Enhances the entire thing, that is.
I’d qualify my flock as a quality flock and
Since I’m quality, it is mine that
Makes the difference, see?

8th Bird: Crane chicken. Please don’t mention me
I’ve no clue, just following the others
Would as well stay here. Not knowing where
We’re heading, am confident that those who do
Also know what all this dizzy flutter is about.
Believe in majority decisions and trustfully
Put my fate in democracy’s sapient hands.

9th Bird: Actually only God knows.
It is God who gave us our angel attire.
We do the flying, but it is in God’s direction
Or under God’s direction, what the heck
God is all around us and we are
His witnesses, definitely
Bird control is a crime.

10th Bird: Artist.
Considers the beauty of it.
Japanese cranes overflying the oversnowed.
Meek slopes of Kanagawa Prefecture in the
Evening, several slit-eyed yokels wearing
Straw hats looking up at us, in formation.
It feels so good, so aesthetic.

11th Bird: A maniac. Travels are tiresome
But I’ve got my knack: Focus on the rumps of the
Birds flying in front of me, shaking in unison.
Male or female I don’t care
Rumps are goodies everywhere.
Right, I start rhyming, rumps make me a poet.
Betimes even clouds reveal their buttocks.

12th Bird: Cassandra.
Going south where the blackbirds holler?
This migratory restlessness will end
Badly, they’ll build a sky wall against us.
When winter threatens, flying away from it
Is the worst solution of all. Listen, please:
The coming winter will be exceptionally harsh.

13th Bird: Prophet. This is Egypt, somehow
Anyplace shall be better, we aren’t
Given wings to sit around twittering. Shtil!
Hearken to what the cable under our claws has to say
Tremble Toe tells us: Away! Future is bright, brethren
To those who have faith. Before the sun set thrice
Three golden wires shall tender everlasting rest.

14th Bird: Late bird. There is always
One left. When everyone gone one still picking beak.
Part of the flock now solitary, will savor
Precious moments of individuality
Alone on earth – which he eventually is.
But then even one Mr. Laggard must take to the air
And reluctantly rejoin his kind.

All the others: Oh, dear
See him coming
Self-absorbed flapping grandstander!
Did you think we were waiting for you?
The flock’s you life insurance policy, poor jerk.

November 21, 2018

Aucun commentaire: